Two patients were paralyzed from the waist down, one had tuberculosis, one had glaucoma and. She collected a bedpan, urinal, aspirin tablets, and other medical supplies during her flight preparations.
Beyond the Call of Duty: Army Flight Nursing in World War II
She also received blankets, pillowcases, sheets, two Army cots and two mattresses. Along the way 11 more patients were added. This wonderful book is a tribute to flight nurses, and Barger gives a vivid picture of the terrible ordeal of Lieutenant Ott. As a result of the success of her mission, the bureaucrats who thought medical evacuations and a flight nurse program were ridiculous to consider had a change of heart.
World War 2 Flight Nurses - First Flight Nurse LT. Elsie Ott -
Due to her actions,. Second Lieutenant Elsie S. For meritorious achievement while participating in an aerial flight from India to the United States January 17 to 23, During this flight Lieutenant Ott served as nurse for five patients who were being evacuated from India to Washing D.
This was the pioneer movement of hospital personnel by air over such a great distance. Several of these patients were suffering from serious ailments which required constant attendance and vigilance on the part of Lieutenant Ott. In addition to her nursing duties, she was responsible for arranging for the feeding and housing of the patents en route, the transportation and stowing of their baggage, as well as making all financial arrangements involving their feeding and care while at ground bases not under the control of the Army Air Forces.
The successful transportation of these patients was made possible by the efficiency and professional skill of Lieutenant Ott and her unflagging devotion to duty.
- Dance Me To The Stars: How To Make Love Last.
- From Corpus to Classroom: Language Use and Language Teaching (Cambridge Language Teaching Library).
- The Coming of Age of the Green Community: My neighbourhood, my planet (Routledge Explorations in Environmental Studies).
- Browse journals by subject.
It further demonstrated the practicability of long-range evacuation by air of seriously ill and wounded military personnel from theaters of operations and reflected great credit upon Lieutenant Ott and the Army Nurse Corps. Barger, In addition to all of the work mentioned in the citation, Lt.
Ott also kept extensive notes about practical needs that were lacking on her flight. These would be of great benefit to the patients as well as the staff on future flights. Cover p. C Download Save. Title Page, Copyright, Quote pp. Contents pp. Maps and Illustrations pp.
Beyond the Call of Duty
Preface pp. Prologue pp. Epilogue pp.
- Study Guide: The Handmaids Tale (A BookCaps Study Guide)!
- World War II Nurse Books.
- The Texans Future Bride (Mills & Boon Cherish) (Byrds of a Feather, Book 2).
- Jilted Generation: How Britain has Bankrupted its Youth.
- Beyond the Call of Duty - The Kent State University Press.
- World War II Nurse Books | No Time for Fear: Nurses of World War II.
- From the Farm to the Table Potatoes (From the Farm to the Table Series Book 4).
Appendix pp. Notes pp. Bibliography pp. Index pp. Back Cover p. BC Download Save. Purchase Buy This Book in Print. Project MUSE Mission Project MUSE promotes the creation and dissemination of essential humanities and social science resources through collaboration with libraries, publishers, and scholars worldwide. Contact Contact Us Help.